Friday, April 15, 2011

Thoughts on Leaving Dominica

With our final semester on the island coming to an end, I'm taking a moment to reflect.
I do have to say that this move is a bit bitter sweet because I have come to really love living here. Life here has been easy in ways that it's hard back home, and vice versa.


For instance:

1. We don't have a car. So that means no stressing over budgeting in gas money, car payments, or insurance.

2. Kyle and I get to have lunch and dinner with each other every day. When we're back home this won't happen very much.

3. Here we only have 3 necessary bills to pay such as rent, pay as you go cell phones, and electricity. At home this will be multiplied by 2. (scary is an understatement)

4. Here for entertainment we buy a bottle of cheap wine and have game nights. Back home everything will cost an arm and leg.

5. Here I feel like the friendships/conversation is rich with the freedom to be real and not on the surface. What you see is what you get; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

6. Here my biggest worry on a daily basis is what the heck am I going to make for dinner. I have a feeling that will never change, but with time there will be more added to that list

7. .Life here has just been so simple. There hasn't been the feeling of being pulled by people or things to get us distracted, insecure, the need to please people, or feeling obligated.


So if you can't tell... I'm feeling pretty nervous. Don't get me wrong, I'm more ready than I'll ever be to get back to the good-ole USA.
I guess I just don't want to lose what I found here. This experience has in so many ways been just what I needed to get me back to the nitty gritty, to be comfortable in my own skin, to take risk, to be bold... I mean for heaven's sake, I was on the RSO committee where I had to make lists and email people back and for a person that has dyslexia that's a big freaking deal! Thats not the only thing God has pushed me to do. At times I was even to a place where I was a bit uncomfortable, but there was a lesson to learn behind every hard thing I had to go through. I feel that Kyle and I have a new found strength and we're seeing things in a new light, feeling focused on OUR goal ahead.
Kyle and I say "Bring It ON" to whatever comes next.
Pretty much every day this past week we have looked at each other and said "I can't believe we are about to leave Dominica." We really did it!!! This island will always have a special place in our hearts.


2 comments:

  1. Well said Taylor. There's just something about this island and the friendships made here that none of us will ever forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could type, verbalize, SOMETHING to express just how PROUD I am to call you my daughter - in - law.....you are so awesome!
    Thank you for being the light in the dark, the giggle through tears, the constant during the insecurity and the love of my son's life.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete